Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Well, it's October and although the topic for the month is "trees" I can't fault our socially conscious Heights-ers for focusing on political themes instead.  This tweet came in and deserves a response.

#htspoetweet So many people are not working but have jobs. US suffers #CongressionalShutdown while elites play games.  

Lament of the Government Worker

Some of us are called to service
working for our nation’s purpose.
Our individual self-worth is
satisfied through social justice. 

Our government was founded
on the rights of opportunity.
Democracy is grounded
on the principle of liberty. 

I ask you now; how free am I
if, as I serve the public realm,
my government declines my pay
while Congress refuses to man the helm?


Tweet me your thoughts #htspoetweet on this or trees or any aspect of life in the Heights. 
Your friendly neighborhood Poet Laureate, Kathleen Cerveny

No comments:

Post a Comment